Autumnal Equinox – the Bones of Prey. The Bones of Prey honors all Prey species and those who give their life so that others may live with some sort of sacrifice by the priest of each Tribe / Family.
The specifics vary based on the Tribe – Prey shape shifter Tribes are more inclined towards animal sacrifice, Predator shape shifter Tribes often go with blood offerings from eligible Tribe members, and other Tribes aim for representing that which feeds them (Family of Fire honors trees and plant life, Tribes tied to precipitation (including the Family of Snow and Ice) honor the ocean as the source of their water, Tree Tribe honors the sun, etc.).
The priests, representatives / helpers, and Dignitaries of each Tribe gather at the Henge (a sacred site near the Capital where Realm-wide events are held) and perform the sacrifices / honorings in pairs (ideally, the Consumer (ex. Fire) and Consumee (ex. Tree)). Observers from the Tribes may attend and watch, but they typically go every X years rather than attending yearly (unless they live close to the Capital).
For those who can’t attend in person, a development occurred to allow an equivalent of televising. Jotnar can then gather in designated locations within their territory / Realm (in the case of the Family of Fire from Muspelheim and the Family of Snow and Ice from Niflheim) to see the events at the Henge.
A ceremonial fight occurs between a Wolf (Angrboda) and a Hare (from the Vanir Tribe) to honor the hunt and sacrifice between Predator and Prey. Final blessings are incorporated into this dance of sorts, which ends the sacrificial portion. The rest of this day revolves around eating with family and giving thanks (families or Tribes may have preferred methods – floating candles, leaf boats, lit lanterns, tying things to trees, etc.).
For those who attend the ceremony at the Henge, a feast occurs there. The Hare representative is served first, then Angrboda, and then everyone else. Dignitaries, priests, and assistants typically have a large table to themselves with variable seating and tables for others due to the unpredictability of how many will show up. Servers keep food on the primary table stocked, but the average attendee will visit the buffet where common food across the Tribes can be found as well as Tribe and Realm specific food.
Observing the Bones of Prey:
- Traveling or journeying to the Capital in order to attend astrally may be possible. It may be possible to attend a televised event and family celebration, if you have a relationship with Someone that warrants this inclusion.
- Honoring Prey with a sacrifice of your own – food, drink, blood offering, or something else you work out as appropriate.
- Sharing a meal with Someone (whether blood Family, chosen Family, or an Ally in the Realm) in a fashion appropriate for you and Them.
- Lighting a candle or otherwise giving an offering to Angrboda and the Hare Tribe of Vanaheim, as representatives of the Predator and Prey.
- Dancing, tai chi, or a movement based offering to reflect the dance of Prey and Predator being honored.
- Recreating a means of giving thanks in Midgard.